My son graduated last Monday and although I was expecting the onslaught of uncouth behavior from most of the audience, I wasn’t prepared for the woman who sat one seat away from me. No more than 5 feet tall and round as a ball, she spoke with a gentle voice as she made her way to her seat. But when the graduates started to march in, she stood up and that woman must have some kind of diaphragm power because she yelled so loud that my left ear started ringing.
Before the ceremony, the school principal already requested that silence be observed since it was a formal occasion but most of the people did not listen. This woman, among others, were calling out during the speech of the school superintendent. She kept calling from someone named “Pigletto” or something that sounds like it.
This is not the first time I’ve observed this behavior. When my daughter graduated two years ago, it was the same thing. And my kids went to different schools. When I graduated, it was very formal, parents dressed up and clapped when appropriate. But the things people were wearing to this ceremony was verging on beach wear. Sure it was warm but is there no boundary anymore between leisure and special occasions? People talked on their phones and one man was even wondering why there were no snack vendors. Hello, it’s not a sporting event. There were even bull horns!
Well, this woman wasn’t done with the screaming. At one point, she was stomping on the bleacher floor and I was afraid she’d break a hole in it. The faculty was looking at her and her companions were telling her to quit it already but she just kept at it until “Pigletto” walked down from the stage and poor boy was embarrassed as hell.
And it doesn’t get better with the college crowd. I have worked in a university for 4 years and attended graduation only once and never again. It was just as bad. A woman even brought loud plastic clappers, like the noise-makers for New Year’s. I think when people can’t hear the name of the graduate anymore, they should just stop the ceremony. Or I wish security would take these people out. This is just using exuberance as an excuse to behave crudely in public.
Sometimes I wonder if the movie “Idiocy” is a vision of the future. Are we devolving? Try and sit in an elementary school cafeteria for a few minutes and tell me what you think.
Yesterday, I saw from Oddee, one of my RSS Feeds, Another 15 Craziest Walmart Shoppers. I don’t know if these strange people are unique to Walmart but what I find disturbing is that there are an awful lot of them.
Luckily, my local Walmarts only get an occasional weirdo. I remember years ago that I heard a deep male voice talking in a feminine manner and when I turned around, I was surprised by a middle-aged man with full makeup and long blonde hair wearing cutoff shorts and a spaghetti strap tank top and heels. He had a beer belly and hair on his legs. It scared my 9-year old so much that she hid in a clothes rack.
But really, what’s up with these people? Are they on drugs, drunk, or just plain whacked out? Do they want to be photographed so they can be on the web? It’s just so bizarre. I don’t see people like these in Kmart or Target. I’m sure Walmart does not appreciate it. And I thought there was a law on indecent exposure. Why aren’t they being arrested?
If you have a weak stomach I wouldn’t suggest you visit the People of Walmart website. It’s like viewing a train wreck. You just can’t look away. Now that summer is approaching, it’s going to be pretty scary.
Image by Stephanie Stanley
Having spent all night trying to solve computer issues, my thoughts turned to other annoying things/persons that have lately been bothering me. I don’t watch TV much because there are a lot of other interesting things to do but mainly because of bad programming. But why is it that these people, despite my practically living under a rock, still invade my consciousness? I’m sure to offend someone but I’ve decided to make a list of these omnipresent darlings of the masses. They are in no particular order.
1. Justin Bieber – I have to say that he is looking a bit better to me as he grows older but seriously, he’s not that special. And I’m glad he changed his hairstyle. He looked like a big head of cotton candy.
2. Snooki – If you put a troll doll wig on her, she can easily pass off for one. When I saw not one but two books of her/by her, I didn’t really care to know, in the bookstore, I nearly had a coronary. What is there in her vapid life worth writing about?.
3. The Kardashians – Why do people care about who they’re dating or if they’re pregnant? What’s so special about them that their images are everywhere?
4. Apple products – It’s amazing how people have flocked to this brand and how many of them think that they’re better than everybody else because of it. Macintosh is robbing you blind, people!
5. Teen Moms – It used to be that these are the girls who got sent away by their parents for a “vacation at Aunt Lily’s” but now they are glorified like some kind of role model.
6. The phrase “baby bump” – Why is it everyone’s business now if a celebrity is pregnant? I’d hate to be the subject of speculation and scrutiny every time I get bloated. I wish someone like Angelina would shout, “It’s just gas!”
7. The Olsen twins – They are always in the entertainment magazines but what have they done to entertain lately? They look like mere husks of themselves and their outfits always lands them on OMG!
8. The price of gas – Hey, I’ve been through the gas rationing years when oil was really scarce but nowadays, some potentate in the Middle East gets his knickers in a bunch and whoosh! Up goes the gas prices. I’ve literally gone down one street and come back 10 minutes in the opposite direction and see the gas station prices rise by 30 cents. What happened between that drive that I didn’t know about?? I don’t understand why gas, which was already in the storage tanks, suddenly become more expensive than their actual worth.
9. Text messaging – take note, not texting. That’s a made-up word. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already in the Oxford dictionary. After all, they’ve included OMG, LOL, and WTF. It’s quite discouraging that language is degenerating.
10. Prince William and Kate Middleton – For a country that threw of the yoke of being ruled by monarchy, why are we so fascinated with these two? Sure I watched Diana and Charles get married but the media frenzy Will and Kate are causing is just ridiculous. They are just people who happened to inherit a lot of money, that was probably gained in not so scrupulous ways through the centuries.
Okay I feel a little better. But please, enough already!
Posted in Behavior, Human Phenomena, People, Psychology, Strange
Tagged Apple, England, greed, idols, Justin Bieber, Kate Middleton, Middle East, People, pet peeves, price gouging, Prince William of Wales, reality shows, Royal Family, teenage moms